A magnitude 7.8 earthquake struck Southern Turkiye and Northern Syria on Monday, February 6th, 2023. There are now over 20,000 deaths in the two countries. Emergency crews are scrambling to search for survivors and the cold winter weather is further complicating the search and rescue operations.
Let us take a moment to pray for the people of Turkiye and war-torn Syria.
1. More than once we heard people say that the earthquake's impact felt like going through the valley of the shadow of death. "The people dwelling in darkness have seen a great light, and for those dwelling in the region and shadow of death, on them a light has dawned.” Matthew 4:16 . May they all see the light of Jesus
2. "We need someone to save us." A reporter heard this cry from one of the victims. May the true Savior and Healer be sought and seen, and that they will be saved. (Photo: IHA via AP)
Say to me, “I am your salvation.” Psalms 35:3b
3. Comfort, hope and healing for those who have been injured and hospitalized.
4. Many are injured and in hospitals while grieving the loss of their loved ones. Lord have mercy!
5. Relief from the extreme cold weather. Warm blankets and clothing are much needed.
6. Homes and warm shelters for the thousands who have become homeless.
7. Local and neighbouring Christians to reach out and show the compassion and love of our Lord Jesus in practical and generous ways.
8. Countries and communities around the world will be moved to quickly provide much needed supplies, medical and humanitarian aid.
9. Orphans, older men and women, handicapped people to be taken care of.
10. The earthquakes will be stilled and not happen again.
11. Comfort, peace and wisdom for the diaspora whose families have perished or with whom they have lost contact. May the Compassion sensitivity and love of Christian friends and neighbours be the light of Christ in this immense darkness and may those discouraged and hopeless or grieving find solace in the love of Jesus through His people.